Articles chosen with care. Your comments welcomed.
Linked articles in bold purple
◆ The devastation–human and material–keeps growing from California wildfires
◆ Stand and Deliver: Goodell send letter telling NFL players he wants them to stand during anthem. (ESPN)
No specifics on how the league plans to ensure it or act toward players who do not stand.
Comment #1: ESPN broke into their political coverage to cover this sports story.
Comment #2 re Trump vs NFL kneelers: ZipDialog predicted
(a) the league would cave after seeing the fans’ and advertisers’ reactions,
(b) Trump was politically smart to make this an issue; most people respect the flag, and ALL his base does; and
(c) when Trump won on this issue, he wouldn’t be shy about saying so.
◆ Horny Harvey and Hollywood Hypocrisy
Comment: Now that he has been destroyed, the powerful people and institutions will finally speak.
I completely understand why the weak and vulnerable kept quiet; they are victims. But the powerful and well-entrenched who knew about this have no such excuses.
◆ The next phases of the Weinstein story, as I see it
Comment: Here are some obvious angles. The question is whether the media wants to investigate, given that they are directly implicated, along with their powerful friends:
- Democrats who were close to him will have to defend themselves and offer stories about their ignorance (some true, some false)
- Many are now saying they are “shocked, shocked” to find out this about Mr. Weinstein. Gimme a break.
- Why did Hillary, Barack, and all the others wait five days after the NYT broke the story before commenting?
- Why did all the late-night comedians (except John Oliver) maintain radio silence, as Saturday Night Live did? They will jump on Weinstein’s figurative corpse now, but where were they after the story broke?
- The media will be all over the Weinstein story but they will downplay or ignore the media’s complicity or the Democrats role in it (just as the conservative media will harp on it)
- The NYT, the most MSM of MSM outlets, deserves lots of credit for breaking the story. But they need to explain why they didn’t dig further a decade ago, when they first had the story. Lots of women were harmed in the intervening years.
- What about the media outlets, like the NYT and NBC, that had the story and didn’t run it? What about the gossip sites like TMZ? Why didn’t they investigate this well-known rumor?
- What about the others sexual harassment and exploitation in Hollywood? Will the media investigate or wait for Gloria Allred? There have been rumors for years about pedophilia, but no real reporting.
◆ Henry Kissinger meets with Trump. What’s that about?
Comment: Kissinger has made one of the most sensible and serious proposals about working with China to resolve the North Korean crisis. He is also the most trusted intermediary to broker a deal between Beijing and Washington and to carry back-channel messages between the two. (Kissinger’s proposal was contained in a Wall Street Journal op-ed, subscription)
My guess: Trump listened to Kissinger, said “great, if Xi is willing to do it. But if he won’t or it doesn’t work, tell him the US will act unilaterally in a wide variety of ways that the Chinese won’t like.”
Hat Tip to
◆ Randy Helm for pointing out that the NYT deserves credit for breaking the story